Sunday, February 22, 2015

Yes, I'm Still Here

It has been a long while since I have posted.  The problem is I love many different crafts and haven't figured out a way to do them all on a regular basis.  During the months leading up to the holidays I had a major cardmaking mojo going.  So far in 2015 I have been knitting and even experimenting with crochet.

I haven't been too excited about garment sewing here lately and did not want to go off topic with cardmaking and knitting projects so I have not posted. 

I want to get back to the pants fitting thing but just can't find the creative energy or patience to devote to that task.  Plus, I have found a few pairs of RTW pants to carry me over until I can tackle the pants issue. 

There has been very little sewing going.  However,  I have been taking a Craftsy class to make this bag.  

I'm using some fabric that has been in my stash for awhile. Had to order a zipper long enough to fit the opening and sturdy enough to hold the bag closed. 
The outside and inside front and back panels are complete and ready for zipper insertion.  I love this fabric!

Looking forward to finishing this bag to store my Cricut die cutting machine. I'm also hoping that my sewing mojo will return now that warmer weather is in the very near future-- I hope!

Until next time... sew something you love!

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Pa-pa-pa Pants Fi-fi-fi Fitting!

As I continue along my sewing journey I've discovered a few fitting techniques that have worked for my figure. Up to this point I have been pretty pleased with the outcome of the projects I have undertaken, but now it is time to take on a new challenge.  Pants!

I've heard that achieving a great fitting pair of pants can be frustrating.  In fact, many sewists tend to shy away from sewing pants. The actual construction is, for the most part, pretty straightforward once you know how to insert a zipper. However, getting pants to fit properly is an entirely different matter.

A few years ago I tried altering a pants pattern to fit but after several frustrating hours and unsuccessful muslins I gave up.  Since then I have been doing my research, consulting various fitting resources and experimenting with pattern alterations.  I now have the courage to give it another try.

I admit that I am feeling a little apprehensive but alas I will press forward and begin the process.

I will also attempt to share my experience as I work toward achieving a my goal-- the good, the bad and the ugly.  But of course I'm hoping it's all good!   

Stay tuned...

Until next time...Sew something you love!

Sunday, September 21, 2014

I Got It Done!

I finished the quilt!  I can't believe it. Not only did I finish it but I did so a few days ahead of schedule.

We had the pleasure of spending time with our daughter today. We left early this morning and drove three plus hours to visit our daughter for family weekend. I tried really hard to surprise my daughter with the finished quilt but was so excited and when she asked me by phone if the quilt was finished with such expectancy in her voice I couldn't lie and answered her with a resounding YES!!!

So this morning when we arrived earlier than she'd expected and I presented her with the quilt we rushed straight up to her room, apologized to her roommate for being so loud and giddy early in the morning (it was 11:00 am but we are talking about college kids here), and spread the newly finished quilt on her bed.  It was a perfect fit!  All of my hard work was rewarded with the biggest grin and many many hugs and kisses. And the cherry on top was a pillowcase made with some of the leftover quilt fabric. 

Some pics...

The rug doesn't quite work with the colors in the quilt so We will be looking for an orange one to replace it. 

So as I sit here typing this post, I find myself feeling a little sad.  I've spent the last few weeks working on this quilt and now that it is finished I actually miss it.  You see, while I was sewing the quilt I thought about how happy my daughter would be when she saw it for the first time.   I thought about all the love that went into the very first quilt I made from start to finish and how I have given her a little part of me to keep with her while she is away at school and then later as she establishes her own household and family.  

Now I know why quilters love what they do. Quilting is stitching little pieces of love into someone's life.

Until next time...Sew something you love!